Trinity bounced back from their 52-18 defeat to the Dublin Rebels with a close 3 point win over the visiting Carrickfergus Knights.

Trinity came out of the gates running, picking off the Knights quarterback Adam Devenney in the early stages of the first quarter. Within a few minutes Trinity were up 6-0 when Trinity QB Dan Flynn found wide receiver Alex Gurnee in the end zone from the eleven yard line.

The Knights offense couldn’t get their momentum going and it wasn’t long before Trinity extended their lead when running back Rob McDowell crossed the goal line under a pile of bodies to put Trinity 12 up with a 2 yard run.

Before the end of the second quarter Trinity lost their quarterback to injury and he was unable to return for the remainder of the game.

McDowell took snaps for the rest of the game and in the beginning of the third quarter he broke off a brilliant 95 yard run, extending Trinity’s lead to 19 after the converted PAT.

Midway through the third quarter the Knights’ offense started to find their feet and began to get ball moving effectively. It wasn’t long before Devenney found wide receiver Gary McElkerney and the Knights gained 30 yards getting down to the Trinity 2. From there, the two connected again for a two yard touchdown.

Without their QB Trinity relied on their running game to run down the clock but found it difficult due to their lack of passing options and an effective Knights’ run defense.

In the 4th, the Knight’s quarterback threw short of his deep wide out and was intercepted by cornerback Brian O’Driscoll at Trinity’s 9 . The Knights’ D pinned Trinity back inside their 5 with some relentless blitzing and forced a fumble from stand in Trinity QB, the ball was recovered by Spencer McDowell who took it to the end zone.

After the successful conversion the Knights had cut Trinity’s lead to 5 points with half the quarter to go.

With time running out the Knights again moved the ball back inside the Trinity half only to be picked off by O’Driscoll on the TCD 10 after a lucky bounce. From there the Knights’ defense went to work, pushing Trinity back against the goal line.

With less than 30 seconds remaining on the clock Trinity were forced to take a knee inside their own endzone and give up a safety to the Knights.

By the time the Knights’ offense took to the field there was 9 seconds left on the clock and not enough time to get withing field goal range.

Carrickfergus Knights’ next game is at home to the UL Vikings on April 1st, Trinity also play that day in Lucan against the Dublin Dragons. Both games kick off at 1pm.