The NFL season is little over 6 weeks away and over the next few weeks we’re going to go over all that has been going on with the NFL’s 32 teams this off season. We’ll bring you up to speed in easy to read bite sized chunks and without further adieu…
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dirk Koetter in as Offensive Co-Ordinator. After Jeff Tedford had heart surgery in pre-season last year the Bucs were realistically without an OC all of last year….well 2-14 is what happened.
- Big money OT Anthony Collins was cut after signing a $30m 5 year deal and offering about as much protection as paper mache. Collins is still a free agent.
- Dashon Goldosn was traded to Washington
- Josh McCown was cut and picked up the Browns
- Adrian Clayborne and DeQuan Bowers, both heralded as the core of the Bucs defensive line for the next decade both had contacts expire and they’ve moved on.
- George Johnson, DE acquired in Trade from Detroit.
- Chris Conte, S washed out in Chicago will likely serve as a backup.
- Henry Melton, DT perhaps past his best but the kind of reliability needed on a team rebuilding. Will give McCoy a break.
- Bruce Carter, ILB Rolondo McClain made Carter surplus to requirements in Dallas. Solid player.
- Sterling Moore, more defenders from Dallas. Will add competition to the Nickel Corner spot.
- Jamis Winston, Andrew Luck this pick is not but Winston has undoubtable quality and if the Bucs can use their depth a running back to help him out he has the potential to be one of the better QB’s to come out in the last few years.
Next two picks went on offensive linemen, Donovan Smith & Ali Marpet will both be day 1 starters which might bring it’s own issues but there is quality there.
- Kwon Alexander in the 4th round is a rare defensive pick for the Bucs but he has the potential to be a very fine NFL inside linebacker, but don’t they all.
Late round picks were spent on some offensive skill guys who will add depth.
Getting help to their young QB will be the biggest challenge for the Bucs. Fail and you’ve got Geno 2.0 succeed and you might have Andrew Luck (well about 85% of him) The Bucs aren’t going to the Super Bowl nor will they win the division but progress can be made if they are smart about it!